Sunday, November 10, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Spaghetti Squash is my favorite squash because there is nothing quite like it. I mean, it's basically vegetable pasta! What more can you ask from a squash? Until a few weeks ago, I had only seen spaghetti squash used as a substitute for spaghetti pasta, but then I stumbled upon a spaghetti squash casserole. It didn't quite tickle my fancy, so I decided to create my own. It's packed with veggies, tastes great, and can be stored in the fridge for up to five days, meaning I can make it for my whole week's worth of lunch. If Superman were a casserole, he would be this one.

Spaghetti Squash Casserole 
1 Spaghetti Squash (cooked)
1 ½ lbs. Lean Ground Beef
Coconut Oil
1 egg
1 cup Spinach, chopped
1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1 white onion, diced
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cup cauliflower florets, chopped
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. oregano
½ tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin

Directions:
1.      Preheat oven to 400 F.
2.      Cook spaghetti squash, and scrape out meat with a fork. Directions here.
3.      Brown ground beef in a saucepan. Drain.
4.      In a sauce pan, heat coconut oil and sauté onion, tomatoes, peppers, and cauliflower. Add spices. Add spinach after onions turn translucent and wilt it down.


5.      Add squash, ground beef, and eggs to vegetables. Mix thoroughly.


6.      Transfer mixture to a casserole dish and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.


What can I say? It doesn't look pretty, but then again I'm not Bobby Flay, so I really don't care all that much about presentation. I can say this, however; it tastes better than it looks, which is all I care about! This dish is so versatile, so you could add some more vegetables or substitute them for different ones (I may put some broccoli in mine next time). The egg is a nice binder and keeps the whole thing from falling to a million pieces when you spoon it out, which is another plus. Spaghetti Squash Casserole: A Success!

1 comment:

  1. Used this recipe a few times now. Very versatile dish. I double your proportions, whip everything up on Sunday and then enjoy throughout the week. It's a great trick to curb bread and pasta cravings.

    ReplyDelete