Sunday, November 24, 2013

Southwestern Chicken Soup

Considering the high today is 37 degrees, I'd say it's officially soup weather! This recipe is for a spicy southwestern chicken soup that will warm you up with one bite. It's loaded with veggies and protein, and it's super duper easy to make. It literally consists of sauteing a few veggies then throwing them in a pot with everything else. Easy enough?

*Print this recipe here.*
Southwestern Chicken Soup 
1-1.5 lbs. chicken, cooked and shredded
3-4 cups chicken broth (I use the water I boil my chicken in)
1 white onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 zucchini, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 ½ tsp. Dried Cilantro
Coconut oil

Directions:
1.      In a saucepan or large pot, heat coconut oil and add onions, peppers, and garlic. Saute until garlic is fragrant and onions are translucent (5-8 minutes).
2.      In a large pot add chicken, broth, sautéed onions, peppers and garlic, zucchini, diced tomatoes with chilies, and spices.

3.      Bring to a boil and let simmer on medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.

What can I say? It was a first class meal that took me around 30 minutes to make. I'm definitely going to be making this again, especially since it's not even officially winter yet, and as I said before, the high today is 37 degrees. I see a lot of cold days in my future, but I also see a lot of warm soup to help me cope with them!

3 comments:

  1. I would like to try this next week after the holidays. This is a great soup for this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete