Sunday, September 8, 2013

Taco Casserole

Casseroles are good. Casseroles are real simple. Casseroles save well. I hope you enjoyed my casserole haiku, but I'm sure you'll enjoy this recipe more! It's a Paleo taco casserole, and it makes me want to wake up at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow morning because that means it's a little closer to lunch, which means it's a little closer to eating this casserole. But all swooning aside, here's the recipe.


Paleo Taco Casserole
1.5-2 lbs ground beef
Coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 butternut squash, peeled and shredded
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. onion powder
4 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. paprika
 ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 cups warm water
Print this Recipe Here.
Recipe adapted from here.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cook ground beef over coconut oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
3. In another skillet, cook onions, peppers and garlic in coconut oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Then add in tomatoes with juice and cook another 3 minutes.

4. Mix spices with water in a medium bowl.
5. After meat is no longer pink, take the spiced water and pour into the skillet with the beef. Let simmer until most of the water is gone.

6. Place meat in the bottom of a casserole dish.

7. Layer vegetables on top of beef.

8. Top it all off with the shredded butternut squash.


9. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes.

I really can't see how something that tastes this good (and looks this good) can be that great for you, but I'm not going to question it. What I'm going to do is enjoy this as my lunch this week. I can't wait!

7 comments:

  1. How did you shred the butternut squash? How many people does this recipe serve? It looks like it serves 6 people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it serves about 5 or 6 people. And the squash can be shredded in a food processor (peel it first) or using a traditional cheese shredder.

      Delete
  2. Another great recipe, Harrison and I will try this one in the future but tonight, I'm making your meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it Sheila! The meatloaf is delish!

      Delete
  3. This looks so good. I am thinking of making it this weekend for a Sunday brunch with the Hub. A little salad on the side and we should be good to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! It's also good topped with avocado.

      Delete