Sunday, August 18, 2013

Vegetable Chili


Chili is one of my favorite foods, and one of the first things I thought about when I realized I wouldn't be eating beans while on the Paleo diet. I searched around for Paleo chili ideas, and found a great recipe on Multiply Delicious, a blog dedicated to the Paleo lifestyle. Since it's the first official day of me going Paleo, I decided it was fitting to post a recipe of one of my favorite foods, Paleo style. I made some changes to the recipe to fit  my liking, however. Anywhoodles poodles, here 'tis!

2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 lb. grass-fed, ground beef
2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. Paprika
1 Tbsp. Cumin
2 tsp. dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 Zucchini, diced
2 Carrots, peeled and diced
1 Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
1 Red Pepper, chopped
1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup Chicken Broth (low sodium or regular)
Recipe adapted from here.
Print this recipe here.

Directions
1. Place a big pot over medium-high heat and add oil. 
2. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes.

3. Add beef and chop into crumbles. Cook until no longer pink. 

4. Add in spices, zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, red pepper, crushed tomatoes, and broth. Stir.

5. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes. (I let mine simmer closer to 30 minutes to make sure the sweet potatoes get cooked to my liking.)

I'm never fixing regular chili again. This stuff was Wolfgang Puck, Bobby Flay, Emeril Lagasse good! It's gonna be my lunch for a few days this week, and I can't friggin' wait for lunchtime tomorrow! It's just the right amount of spicy, and has the texture of regular chili with beans. If you don't try this, your taste buds will never forgive you....so, GET TO MAKING THIS EFFING AMAZING CHILI.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Believe me, fantastic is an understatement!

      Delete
  2. If there's one thing I know I love in chili...it's cumin! It makes the dish complete! Thanks for linking up to #RECIPEFRIDAY :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use cumin in so many recipes I find myself buying it all the time! It's got such a nice flavor.

      Delete