Monday, August 19, 2013

Restaurant Healthy: On the Border


On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
¡Hola! Sorry, that's the extent of my knowledge of Spanish. But if we can't speak the language, let's talk about Mexican food! It's basically a south-of-the-border heaven in your mouth. I love chips and salsa, quesadillas, tacos, burritos, black beans, rice; I love Mexican food, you get the point. One of my fav Mexican restaurants is On the Border, and finding a healthy dish that didn't require me to compromise on the great Mexican flavors was a bit challenging. I experimented with a salad, some chicken tortilla soup, and finally the Chicken Salsa Fresca. The latter was the winner. A grilled chicken breast with a salsa on top, and two sides of grilled veggies (instead of rice). It's fresh, spicy, and everything else that's good about Mexican food. So here's the 411 on the Chicken Salsa Fresca:


Calories: 520
Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Sodium: 2410 mg
Carbohydrates: 60 g
Fiber: 12 g
Protein: 50 g

In my opinion, this nutritional info seems pretty accurate, but there probably wouldn't be as much calories, sodium, or carbs with the extra side of veggies instead of the Mexican rice. It tasted phenomenal, and if I'm being honest, I would get this instead of some cheesy quesadilla or taco any day. On the Border's Chicken Salsa Fresca shows you that eating healthy doesn't mean eating bland. And on the up side, this recipe is mostly Paleo (the oils in was prepared in are probably not)!

On the Border's Chicken Salsa Fresca: A++++ (I'm overlooking all the sodium.)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment