Monday, July 8, 2013

Vacations and Fitness

This Fourth of July weekend was fantastic! The family and I went to the beach for a few days with the sun, sand and ocean....there were also some Krispy Kreme doughnuts (four dozen to be exact), one and a half pounds of fudge, trail mix, cake, and lots of saturated fat. Needless to say I came home with a beer gut that had not been there when I left. However, I am proud of myself when it comes to the fact that I only skipped one day of exercising! I jogged two times at the beach to try and maintain what was left of my physique, and it worked very well.....NOT. I had an epiphany, however; I realized that eating all of these horrible foods is not for me anymore. I went to bed every night with a stomach ache, and when I went for a run, it felt like I was slowly dying. So with that being said, here are my tips for staying lean on vacation:

  1. Don't deprive yourself. Have a doughnut, and some fudge, just don't have 48 doughnuts and one and a half pounds of fudge. Go off your diet, just don't go insane.
  2. Exercise.....if you want. I enjoy going for a run, so doing so at the beach was even better because of the beautiful scenery, which made up for me feeling like someone had kicked the breath out of me when I ran. If you're not feeling it, don't do it. A break is good every now and then.
  3. Don't make yourself sick! This should be obvious, but like I mentioned before, I went to bed every night with my stomach hurting. Going from a healthy diet to such an unhealthy one really shocks your body, so balance the healthy with the unhealthy. 
  4. Make your vacation about taking a break from everyday life, not about food. I've made this mistake one too many times. I always get myself hyped up about vacations because I know that I'm going to go off my diet, but I'm actually just taking away from the vacation. Don't make your vacation about food, make it about getting away!
Don't use vacations as an excuse to eat whatever you want whenever you want it. But with that in mind, INDULGE while you're away. Food isn't the only way to have a good time on vacation.

2 comments:

  1. I love running on vacation! The chance to run in new places and see the sights is too good to pass up. Or even better, we go on runcations. My husband and I like to make travel plans including a race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've never thought about that before! What a great way to integrate running into your vacation!

      Delete