Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Pasta


Spaghetti is absolutely one of my favorite meals, and I always use whole wheat pasta when I make it, but I've wanted to try using spaghetti squash instead for a while now. It's not that whole wheat pasta is bad for you, I just think that when there is an opportunity to sneak another vegetable into a meal, TAKE IT! So I bought myself a spaghetti squash at the store and finally made some pasta out of it.


1 Spaghetti Squash
Olive Oil
Spices (I used Thyme and Rosemary, but you could use whatever blend you want.)
Black Pepper

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half length wise.

3. Use a knife and spoon to cut and scoop all of the seeds and goop out.


4. On a greased cookie sheet lined with tin foil, sprinkle your spices.


5. Brush a little olive oil on the insides of your squash and season with black pepper.
6. Place both halves face down on the season coated cookie sheet.


7. Bake for 40 minutes at 400°F.

8. Just after they've been taken out of the oven, hold each half with a pot holder and scoop the "noodles" out with a fork. 

9. There you have it! Spaghetti squash pasta!

From what I've seen online, you can use this as a pasta substitute in almost any recipe, but this time I chose to pair my spaghetti squash pasta with an all time favorite: meat sauce!

This spaghetti squash pasta is absolutely perfect for a pasta substitute. It is crunchier than regular noodles, but doesn't have a strong taste that makes it unbearable to eat with tomato sauce. In fact, I actually enjoyed this spaghetti squash pasta just as much as regular pasta (probably even more because I didn't feel guilty about the carbs!). This recipe is a must for anyone wanting to add more veggies to their diet. 

My Rating of Spaghetti Squash Pasta: 10/10

Note: This recipe was adapted from here.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love spaghetti squash pasta and have been so sad that they are out of season and pretty much unavailable (or really $$$) here. Can't wait till they are abundant again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing...I didn't know vegetables could taste that good!

      Delete